Wedding terminology can be mind-boggling. If you’re new to planning, you’ll likely hear hundreds of strange words that have to do with weddings. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered – scroll down to browse our A to Z.
This should save you from feeling like you should be looking up a dictionary the next time you are listening to a vendor rattling through a lot of unfamiliar wedding language and lingo!
We worked very hard to create this wedding glossary and we believe we’ve covered the majority of the most common wedding terms and buzzwords. There might still be a slang word or two that does not appear in our lexicon of wedding related words.
If there is a word or phrase relating to weddings that you cannot find, please reach out and contact us. We’d be happy to add new words associated with weddings to our (a through to z) vocabulary of marriage terminology.
The A-Z Glossary of Wedding Words, Lingo, & Phrases
What Is A 60s Table?
A 60s table otherwise known as a standard 60-inch round table and is one of the most popular options when it comes to Wedding plan seating.
- Round tables are widely available and easy to manage when seating your guests.
- These tables are able to comfortably seat anywhere from eight to twelve guests.
- Due to the tables being round in shape it is important to try not to block site lines as this will discourage conversation across the table.
What Is A 72s Table?
A 72s table is a 72-inch round table that can very comfortably seat anywhere from eight to twelve guests dependent on the meal service and table décor.
Round tables are widely available and allow for maximum capacity in almost every venue.
- Due to the table being a very standard option at weddings, couples will be able to choose from countless linen options.
- In terms of centerpieces, floral arrangements are normally your best bet.
- Try to keep your table décor to a minimum so as not to block the site line making it difficult for your guests to chat. Unless of course, that is what you are going for!
What Is an Admission Card?
An admission card ensures privacy from sightseers and other visitors and is normally included with the Wedding invitation or sent after the bridal couple has received a response.
This is very useful for ceremonies that are being held at a popular location.
When arriving at the wedding the guests need to present the admission card at the entrance.
- The wording can be used to suit you and your wedding theme.
- Admission cards can also be suitable for many themes such as music, concert tickets, flight tickets, or cinema and film tickets.
- Admission cards are a fun and exciting way in which to invite your guests to attend your special day.
What Is an Aisle Runner?
An aisle runner is a long piece of fabric positioned in the center of the main aisle during the Wedding ceremony.
It is usually rolled out at the beginning of the ceremony to indicate the arrival of the procession and the couple.
- This is a beautiful piece of décor to accentuate a beautiful wedding.
- It helps to create a surface covering that can protect your esteemed guests’ shoes and even the bride’s dress train.
- Use double-sided tape to give the carpet a clean-cut look and prevent any unwanted accidents.
- The runner should be rolled out from the front of the church to the back.
- It can also be a trip hazard if it is not stuck down properly!
What is an Altar?
An altar is traditionally a structure that religious prayer offerings or sacrifices are made.
Today, in a modern Wedding sense, they are usually the focal point of the marriage ceremony.
Most times the altar is provided by the venue and is covered with a decorative tablecloth.
Alternatively, you may opt to bring in your own tablecloth.
This table comes alive as a wedding altar once the ceremonial supplies or sacred items have been placed onto it.
- The altar is a significant physical structure as it is where the couple exchanges their vows when getting married.
- Altars can include everything from candles, sand, stones, planters, seeds, crystals, and other meaningful items belonging to the bridal couple.
What is an Annulment?
An Annulment happens when a judge declares that a marriage is legally void.
This can occur when either party feels that they have been tricked, forced, or pressured to get married to each other against their will.
- There is generally no set period of time when it comes to obtaining an annulment. The final decision will depend on the judge.
- It is, however, practical to seek an annulment sooner rather than later so as to carry on with your life and find your ideal partner.
- Annulment applies to a marriage that is valid until otherwise declared by the court as annulled.
What Is an Appliqué?
Lace Appliqués are decorative motifs which are normally sewn onto an existing fabric such as tulle or netting.
The appliqués are often sewn in with a matching lace or lace trim.
- Appliqué is ornamental needlework in which pieces or patches of fabric are sewn or stuck together onto a larger piece to form a picture or a pattern.
- This technique is accomplished by using either hand stitching or machine stitching.
- An appliqué is a beautiful decorative addition to a Wedding dress and is made up of one type of fabric on top of the wedding dress fabric.
- Some can include fabric flowers, lace, sequins, and many other types of sparkles. It can also consist of more intricate pieces such as die-cut appliqués.
What Is an Arbor?
An arbor is a verticle outdoor structure usually used as a garden entrance feature.
For weddings, an arbor can be styled to define the entrance to the ceremony site.
An arbor can also be referred to as a Wedding arch and is often used as a backdrop to decoratively frame the wedding nuptials.
It can be personalized to make the ceremony extra special.
- The typical wedding arch is about 7 to 8 feet high and about 4 to 6 feet wide.
- wedding arbors come in all shapes and sizes to suit your specific preferences.
- An arbor can be used as an anchor and define an outdoor ceremony or serve as a photo backdrop.
What is Artisanal?
Artisanal products (usually cakes, desserts, cheese but sometimes décor) are produced by artisans and made completely by hand or with a little help from hand-tools.
The manual contribution of the artisan remains the most important component of the finished product.
- Artisan Décor provides a unique and tailored approach to make for stunning Wedding décor.
- This décor is welcoming, sensual, minimal, and organic.
- This allows for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces for your wedding décor.
What is an Ascot Tie?
An ascot tie is popularly worn by the groom at a wedding.
It is quite wide with a slim band that is worn around the neck.
A casual ascot is similar in shape; however, it usually has a folded neckband which is worn around the neck
- The ascot is a type of neckwear that almost looks the same as a silken scarf.
- These ties are normally about 53 inches in length and 6 inches wide at the bottom.
- It is important to wear an ascot low around your neck and to ensure it just peeks out from your shirt’s neckline.
What is a B&B Plate?
B&B plate stands for bread and butter plate. They are often used for Wedding receptions.
- A B&B plate is placed on the top left corner of the place setting.
- If there is no space for a bread and butter plate, then ask your caterer to add bread to your salad plate in the form of crostini or grissini.
- Try to incorporate your B&B plate into the décor. It is all in the detail. This includes knowing how to set a proper table so that you can entertain your guests and provide them with a memorable dining experience.
What Is a Bachelor Party?
A bachelor party, otherwise known as a stag night, is a party that is held for the groom to be.
A bachelor party is usually planned by the groom’s friends.
It can also be planned with the assistance of a bachelor party planning company.
- The purpose of a bachelor party is to celebrate the groom’s impending nuptials so as to say goodbye to his life as a single man.
- How to plan a bachelor party will depend on the personality and comfort level of the groom so try to make wise choices if you are the one planning this party.
- It is customary for the groom to pay nothing for his own bachelor party.
What is a Bachelorette Party?
A bachelorette party is a celebration that is arranged for a bride to be to honor her last days of single life.
A bachelorette party is sometimes known as a hen hight. It is usually hosted months in advance of the couple’s nuptials.
It is her time to get away from the stress of Wedding planning and to relax with her closest friends.
- Traditionally, the only person who doesn’t pay for the bachelorette party is the bride.
- Bachelorette parties can last one to two days as the bride may opt for a weekend away at a spa or relaxing retreat.
- It is sometimes a tradition to give a bride a gift at her bachelorette party.
What is a Backpiece?
A backpiece is a type of decoration that is attached to the bride’s hair with hairpins on the day of her wedding.
It is suitable for any style or hairdo and the perfect add on to a wedding dress.
The bride may even choose to wear it on her honeymoon.
- Choose a headpiece to complement your gown and try to make sure that it matches your dress color and style.
- Find a headpiece that will flatter your face shape. After all, you are going to be the belle of the ball!
- Make sure the headpiece is a good fit. You do not want to be uncomfortable for the entire duration of your wedding.
What is a Banns of Marriage?
Banns of marriage is a public legal notice made in a church to proclaim the intention of an impending marriage.
This is done so that other people are aware of the impending marriage and can make their objections known if need be.
In 1983, this requirement was removed by The Roman Catholic Church but it still exists for other churches.
- Banns have to be read three Sundays before the ceremony is due to take place.
- Although you don’t need to worry about having your Wedding banns read unless you are marrying in a Church of England, you do still need to give notice that you plan to wed.
- In order for your marriage to be legal within many jurisdictions, you need to give a defined period of notice before your wedding.
What is a Baraat?
A Baraat is a celebratory Wedding procession for the groom within certain Indian cultures that involves a combination of live music and dancing.
It does not hold any religious significance but is an important custom nonetheless.
- During Hindu and Sikh weddings, the Groom is led to the marriage venue in a procession known as the Baraat.
- He arrives wearing a Sahara and Saafa while carrying a kirpan and is accompanied by family members, groomsmen, and other friends known as baraatis.
- It is a good idea to wear something comfortable that you will be able to easily move around in.
- Women normally wear a Lehenga, Anarkali, or Gown.
- Guests should not wear red as the bride will be wearing red or black.
What Is a Basket Weave?
A basket weave (or basketweave) is made up of two or more warps that are simultaneously interlaced with one or more fillings.
These baskets are perfect to hold petals or confetti by the flower girls and are difficult to break.
- This woven trend is currently very popular.
- You can upgrade your flower arrangements by braiding bouquet ribbons or centerpieces in straw baskets.
What Is a Basque Waist?
A basque waist is a certain style of waistline that is found on women’s formal dresses and Wedding gowns.
It is an incredibly popular style, especially in wedding gowns, and is often the most defining feature of the dress.
- Your dress will never be forgotten. This classic waistline is a beautiful look for any type of wedding ceremony.
- A basque waist dips below your natural waistline to form a V-shape and is very flattering when worn all body shapes.
- This V-shape begins just below the bride’s waist with the center plunging downward to form a ‘V’ or ‘U’ shape.
What Is a Bateau?
A bateau is a dress or outfit that has a wide neckline that runs horizontally, front and back, and almost to the shoulder points and then across the collarbone.
Traditionally it was used in nautically inspired sweaters and knitwear but has since featured in more elegant cocktail dresses, evening wear, and Wedding dresses.
- This fashion was prominent in the 1920s and was popularized by Coco Chanel in the 1930s.
- It can make for an unforgettable wedding dress.
What Is a Bedeken?
Bedeken is a Jewish pre-wedding ceremony tradition where the groom lowers the veil of his bride.
It happens just prior to the actual wedding ceremony and takes place under what is known as the chuppah.
The groom is accompanied by his parents, the Rabbi, and other dignitaries while surrounded by joyous singing from his friends.
He then covers the bride’s face with a veil at which point the Rabbi will pronounce a blessing upon the couple.
The bride will wear this veil up until the conclusion of the ceremony.
- Some people believe that the Bedeken ceremony is the meaning of the term chuppah which is Hebrew for ‘covering’.
- The veiling ceremony is held only for a bride’s first marriage and is a symbol of the married woman expressing dignity.
What is the meaning of Bespoke?
A bespoke Wedding dress is a custom-made gown that is designed to match each bride individually.
This guarantees that no other bride will be wearing the same gown as another bride.
- The bride chooses the fabric. Color and embellishments of her own dress.
- It is a once-off designer gown that can be made to fit into the bride’s budget.
- The measurements are tailored to fit the bride perfectly.
- It is one of a kind!
What is a Best Man (BM)?
The best man (or BM) is the groom’s, right-hand man. The best man assists throughout the planning process and on the day of the Wedding and is typically in charge of the bachelor party as well as the rest of the groomsmen.
- The best man will be asked by the groom to fulfill this role. Once he agrees he is tasked to serve as the groom’s right-hand man to help lighten the groom’s load before and during the wedding.
- The best man is tasked with duties such as organizing the bachelor party, collecting money and purchasing a gift for the groom, or even helping the groom and groomsmen to pick out what they’ll be wearing at the wedding.
What is a Bezel?
A Bezel is a timeless Wedding band that is worn by the bride and features diamond accents.
These diamonds can be set in a number of different ways.
Bezel set diamonds are one of the most popular options.
This setting is more secure and offers a clean and sleek appearance.
- Bezel engagement rings can range in price from $500 up to several thousand dollars.
- This setting is a type of diamond setting that wraps the diamond completely in a ring of metal instead of using thin prongs to hold the ring together.
- It provides a protective cushion of metal around the widest part of the gem with a frame to highlight the stone.
What is a Black-Tie Event?
Black Tie or a Black-Tie event is a dress code that is formal and mostly used for evening occasions and weddings.
Traditionally, during black-tie events men are required to wear tuxedos and women wear floor-length gowns.
- A man’s suit should always be very dark at a black-tie event to accentuate the formality of the black tuxedo.
- For women, the dress code typically calls for a floor-length dress or gown.
- Cocktail dresses may also be worn but more often floor-length dresses are more acceptable.
What is a Bow Tie?
A bow tie is a type of necktie that can sometimes be worn by the groom or best men during weddings.
More modern bow ties are tied using a common shoelace knot.
A bow tie consists of a ribbon of fabric that is tied around the collar of a shirt in a symmetrical manner while the two opposite ends form loops.
- Traditionally white is the most formal bow tie color.
- Bright colored bow ties are most commonly used for day weddings.
- Those bow ties are normally matched with the same color handkerchief.
What Is Breaking of The Glass?
The breaking of the Glass happens at a Jewish Wedding ceremony so as to remember two of the most important and tragic events of Jewish history.
One of these events is the destruction of the Jewish temples.
It is an otherwise joyous occasion, that also allows for a moment of reflection.
- The Breaking of the Glass symbolizes the destruction of the Jewish temple in Jerusalem.
- This tradition is included in the wedding ceremony to symbolize the finality of the marital covenant.
What Is the Bridal Chorus?
The Bridal Chorus is a piece of music from Richard Wagner’s opera Lohengrin and dates back to 1850.
This chorus is often used in western world weddings as the bride enters the church.
- This is a slow and solemn piece of music.
- It is also referred to as the Wedding March or the Bridal March
- As the bridal chorus starts to play the guest will stand to honor the bride.
What Is a Brut?
A brut is a dry sparkling wine that is very popular at weddings and is one of the more commonly available champagnes.
Most people enjoy the taste of brut champagnes as they have just enough sweetness but not too much.
- Brut is the French word for dry. Therefore, brut sparkling wine refers to a dry sparkling wine.
- Brut is also a term that’s used to describe champagne.
- The term “brut” is simply the level of sweetness in sparkling wine.
- The sweetness comes from a step that happens during the champagne making process.
What Is a Buffet?
A buffet is a system of serving meals in which food is placed in a public area where the diners then stand up and serve themselves.
Buffets are offered at various places, including hotels and restaurants, and are widely used at weddings.
- There are various types of buffet meals such as sit-down buffet, fork buffet, finger buffet, and cold buffet.
- The buffet originates from France in the 16th-century and continues to be a popular choice for many wedding receptions.
- Buffets are an ideal way to offer meals at weddings, business meetings, and holiday parties.
What Is a Candelabra?
A Candelabra is a pair or set of candlesticks with multiple arms that are used to hold candles. Candelabras can make a Wedding setting a lot more elegant.
- The success of an event can rely heavily on the venue. If the lighting is not right it can create an uncomfortable atmosphere.
- Candelabras can add just the right amount of light and elegance to your wedding.
- Candlelight is more often the preferred light source during a wedding so as to enhance the visual appeal of the reception.
What is a Channel Setting?
A channel setting is a type of engagement ring setting in which small diamonds are set inside a specially cut channel.
Some channel settings can also have grooves inside the channel.
These act to secure the small diamonds or gemstones and keep them in place.
- These settings have a small lip that extends slightly over the edge of the diamonds to keep them secure.
- A channel setting has the ability to add visible style and sparkle to your ring.
- This setting provides a snag-free and secure design.
What is a Chief Bridesmaid?
The Chief Bridesmaid, also known as the Maid of Honor or Matron of Honor has a role of great importance within the Wedding party.
She essentially mirrors the role of the best man and is more often than not the bride’s elder sister or best friend.
- The chief bridesmaid normally co-ordinates the bride’s hen party.
- She will organize the activities, get the girls together, and organize the party.
- The chief bridesmaid needs to make sure that the bride is happy with what’s going on and doesn’t feel uncomfortable with any aspect of the party.
- The chief bridesmaid is sometimes referred to as “chiefie” as slang.
What Is Cinematic Style?
A cinematic style Wedding video is one that displays a more artistic approach to filming the wedding. It is essentially a movie of your wedding day and is accompanied by a well-chosen soundtrack.
- This video uses creative composition, good lighting, and emotive editing to help in narrating the wedding day story.
- Studies have shown that 98% of brides regret not having one made after their wedding.
- Your videographer will cut and edit your wedding footage so as to make scenes flow together much like a real movie.
What is a Claddagh Ring?
The Claddagh ring is a traditional Irish ring that is used to represent love, loyalty, and friendship.
This ring originates back to an Irish fishing village of the same name in Galway. The ring was first produced in the 17th century.
- The Claddagh ring design has a pair of hands holding a heart topped with a crown. The hands are used to represent friendship and the heart symbolizes love, while the crown is a symbol of loyalty.
- The bride-to-be wears her Claddagh ring on the left hand with the heart pointed towards her fingertip.
What Is Common-Law Marriage?
A common-law marriage is a term for a union in which a couple has lived together for a certain amount of time in a conjugal fashion. They are both in a marriage-like relationship, but without actually being legally married.
- The IRS recognizes common-law marriages as legal marriages and if you have a valid common-law marriage you are considered married for tax purposes.
- Many couples these days are choosing to live together rather than get married.
- Changes are being made to the law that will give unmarried couples opportunities to establish legal partnership rights.
What Is a Corkage Fee?
A corkage fee is a price charged to guests who choose to bring their own bottle of wine to a restaurant. The same goes for Wedding venues who allow couples to bring in their own champagne or run their own bar.
The corkage fee is usually charged so as to make up for the loss of sales that would not have happened if the couple had used the venue’s bar services.
- A corkage fee includes the labor and cost involved in wine accommodations. The fee may cover some of the amenities and efforts that are supplied by the venue.
- The average corkage fee ranges from $10 to $40 per bottle but maybe as high as $100 or more.
What is a Craft Punch?
Craft paper punches are tools that can help you to create unique paper art.
These punches can also be used to make scrapbooks, greeting cards, memory books, and Wedding invitations.
- You can use these punches to punch all types of paper ranging from standard printer paper to construction paper.
- Try to avoid using this punch on homemade papers, adhesive-backed papers, and fabric lined paper.
What is a Day of Wedding Planner?
A ‘day of’ Wedding planner is offered by many event planning companies and is one of the least intensive planning solutions.
Your day-of wedding planner is there to make sure that that the proceedings on your wedding day run smoothly.
- The day-of wedding planner is responsible for making sure that your vendors arrive on the day as well as for the timeline of your wedding right from the ceremony to the reception.
- The day-of wedding planner will also handle any requests from the guests on your wedding day so that you can concentrate on enjoying your wedding.
What is a Documentary Style?
Documentary Wedding Photography / Videography is an extremely candid style of Wedding photography or videography.
The photographer or videographer does not direct or pose the wedding couple and they are free to enjoy their wedding day as the creative captures the moments naturally as they happen.
- A good documentary wedding photographer or videographer will unobtrusively capture all the special moments that happen throughout the day.
- They concentrate on the proper use of light and composition.
- The results are an authentic record of the wedding day.
- The term documentary style is sometimes misused or misunderstood by some photographers or videographers. Sometimes they may brand themselves as being documentary but in fact they might be quite traditional in nature.
What is a Double Tier?
A double-tiered cake is made up of two different cake sizes.
When placed on top of each other they can create a beautiful visual look.
- The price of two-tiered cakes averages between $7 to $9 per slice. It can, however, go way over that depending on the type of cake and how intricate it is.
- You do not have to place a center dowel for two-tier cakes as they are less likely to fall than fall.
What is Duchess Satin?
Duchess satin is a heavy fabric that is stiffer and has less lustre than standard satin.
It is usually dyed a solid color and used for many Wedding dresses.
- Duchess satin is a high-quality satin fabric because of its high thread count.
- It holds its shape incredibly well.
- Duchess Satin has a definite front and back and is very shiny on one side and dull on the other.
What are Dyeables?
Dyeables are objects or pieces of clothing that have the ability to be dyed. One of these objects is a dyeable Wedding shoe. These shoes are made out of materials such as silk or satin and can be dyed to match the color scheme of your wedding. This is the perfect way to add a personal touch to your wedding day.
- White wedding shoes are easiest to dye, especially if they are made of silk or white satin.
- It is recommended that you color the whole wedding group instead of just your maid of honor.
- There are many shoe repair shops and bridal salons that are able to dye your wedding shoes.
What is an Engagement Session?
An engagement session is a portrait session of you and your future spouse.
Some couples opt for an engagement session in order to fulfill a specific purpose.
It can be used for Save the Date cards or can even be incorporated into your Wedding reception.
- Engagement photos are an opportunity to capture the sense of joy and excitement before you marry the one you love.
- Engagement sessions can also be used as an opportunity to get to know your photographer before the big day arrives.
What Is an Entree?
An entrée is the main dish of a meal, otherwise known as the main course which arrives after the starter.
- In many cases, the RSVP card will list two or three entrée choices and guests will select their preferred meal.
- Entrée comes from a word meaning “entrance.” In the 16th century, the first dish at a fancy dinner was brought in by a procession of servants to the sound of trumpet fanfares.
- This first course was termed the entrée de table.
What Is a Flatlay?
A flat lay is a collection of objects that have been intentionally arranged to create a styled and editorialized photograph to commemorate your Wedding day.
It can be arranged on any flat surface such as the floor, a table, or a decorative styling board.
It is basically a snapshot of your wedding and summarizes the story of your special day by capturing and showcasing everything from your color palette to the theme you’ve chosen.
- Ask your photographer if they are planning to do a flat lay and even go so far as to ask for a list of items that you could include in your flat lay.
- Many wedding photographers already have their own flat lay styling kits but will need some of your personal items to make it one-of-a-kind.
What Are Flower Girls?
The flower girl is used to symbolize the bride as a child in her innocence. A flower girl is typically dressed up the same as the bride and can also symbolize wishes of fertility for the bride and groom during the forming of their new family.
- Flower girls are usually between the ages of four and seven. This, however, does not have to be the rule especially if there is a nine or ten-year-old girl who is important to the wedding couple.
- The flower girl normally wears a dress fit for a princess. While it is a nice gesture to pay for your flower girl’s dress, in some cultures, it is traditionally the flower girls’ parents who pay for her dress.
What is a Flower Wall?
A flower wall is used to highlight a particular area of an event where you want guests to focus their attention.
When it comes to weddings it could be used at the entrance to the venue or as a backdrop for the vows in the ceremony space. It can even be used behind the bridal table at the reception.
- You normally would need about 45 flowers to cover one square foot.
- Flower walls offer endless options for customization based on the color scheme of the wedding. You are able to choose any type of flower that you want.
What is Fondant?
Fondant icing, or fondant, is an icing that is used to decorate or sculpt Wedding cakes and pastries.
It is typically made from sugar, water, gelatin, and glycerol.
- Fondant always stays soft after decorating the cake and does not dry out completely.
- It may form a crust but never dries hard.
- Fondant is more expensive than other icings, which is why most budget-savvy brides choose buttercream instead.
What Are Formalities?
Formalities are procedures that are traditionally carried out at a wedding.
These normally consist of hymeneals, nuptials, the wedding ceremony, speeches, the first dance, and the cutting of the cake.
- When it comes to speeches the best man normally starts the toast and gives his speech. He is then followed by the maid of honor.
- The groom normally responds to the best man and then the parents as well as other guests can also say a speech.
- The speeches are usually followed by the first dance and then the cutting of the cake and the throwing of the bouquet.
What is Glassware?
Glassware can be defined as containers or objects that are made from glass.
This can include cups, containers, serving dishes, and vases.
- If you are having a wedding with fifty guests or more then you may want to consider renting glasses instead of purchasing them.
- Try to find out what kind of drinks each guest prefers. It is a good idea to have an estimate of how many drinks and what kind of drinks your guests will have. This will help you to determine how many of each glass you need.
What Is A High Top Wedding Table?
High top tables can also be referred to as bar tables, cocktail tables, or pub tables.
These tables are taller than their traditional counterparts.
The standard height of these tables is usually about 36-42 inches high.
- This table is often used during cocktail hours in bars, pubs, and restaurants.
- Perfect for after church cocktails for guests to sit while the couple is taking their photographs
- This is the are the tallest dining furniture that is available.
What is Lace?
Lace is a delicate fabric made of yarn or thread that can be made by machine or by hand.
Lace is often made with cotton thread, although linen and silk threads are also available.
Manufactured lace may be made of synthetic fiber.
- Lace was commonly used by clergy of the early Catholic Church as part of vestments in religious ceremonies.
- It has long been used as a decorative element especially in bridal dresses and other bridal attire.
What is a Mantilla?
A Mantilla is a veil that is traditionally made with pieces of black or white lace that are draped over a woman’s head when attending Mass.
At Catholic Wedding ceremonies, this is a popular choice for the bride’s cape-like draping to cover her shoulders.
- Traditionally the mantilla is used during the consecration portion of the Catholic ceremonial mass.
- The couple kneels and the mantilla is draped over the shoulders of the groom and the head of the bride until they rise for the “Our Father” prayer.
- Some Mantilla’s will come with an attached comb, but traditionally, it’s worn over a large decorated high comb.
- The comb keeps the veil in place throughout the ceremony.
What is a Marriage Certificate?
A marriage certificate is an official statement showing that two people are married.
In most jurisdictions, a marriage certificate is issued by a government official after the civil registration of the marriage.
- In the United States, a marriage certificate is an official record that two people have undertaken a marriage ceremony.
- A marriage certificate is required for a number of reasons including evidence of change of a party’s name, legitimacy issues of a child, divorce proceedings, and other such purposes.
What is a Marzipan?
Marzipan is a confection that consists of sugar, honey, and almond meal.
It can sometimes be infused with almond oil or extract.
Marzipan is often used to make sweets or small imitations of objects on a Wedding cake.
- Marzipan is often used as a filling for marzipan candies or as a covering for a wedding cake. It is very similar to almond paste but contains more sugar making it sweeter.
- The marzipan layer on a wedding cake helps to trap moisture in the cake and stop it from staling. It can also provide a smooth surface to make the final icing look neater.
What is the meaning of Mazel tov?
Mazel tov is an expression of congratulations and best wishes, used mostly by the Jewish community, especially during weddings.
- The word mazel literally means “a drip from above”.
- This word can have different connotations depending on its context, but it is connected to one basic definition which is something trickling down from above.
- When we say Mazel Tov to someone, we are normally giving them a blessing.
What Is a Mehndi?
A Mehndi party is the pre-wedding celebration in Hindu and Sikh culture. This is when the bride has the red-orange mehndi “stain” applied to her palms, hands, and feet.
This party is typically held the day before the wedding. The event often has a lounge-like feel and is decorated with colorful pillows.
- These parties are traditionally held in the bride’s home but nowadays many brides are opting to host it at an outside venue.
- Traditionally it has been said that the deeper the color of the bride’s mehndi, the happier the bride and groom’s marriage is going to be.
What is Micro Pavé?
Micro pavé refers to very small diamonds that are typically uniform in size and are set using very small prongs.
Pavé settings usually use larger diamonds than micro pavé settings.
- The diamonds that are used in pavé and micro pavé settings are real diamonds even though they tend to be quite small.
- The beauty and popularity of the details are driven by the cobblestone continuance of these design elements.
What is the MOG?
The MOG is known as the Mother of the Groom. Traditionally, she has the responsibility on the Wedding day of making sure that her family and friends are taking their seats for the ceremony on time.
- A MOG / Mother of the Groom should not wear white, off-white, or any neutral shades that match the bride’s dress.
- It is appropriate for a mother of the groom’s wedding outfit to fit the formality of the wedding.
What is a Naked Cake?
Naked cakes are layered cakes that are served with little or no frosting.
These cakes were one of the biggest Wedding trends in the 2010s.
- These cakes are easily recognized by their exposed layers and simplistic garnishes.
- The majority of Summer brides often opt for a naked cake. Buttercream can melt in the hot summer sun so opting for minimal frosting is usually a good idea.
- These cakes are often made with a jam or meringue-based filling.
What Does an On-Site Wedding Mean?
On-site is referred to as a Wedding and reception that is held in one location.
These weddings are normally more simple, cheaper, and overall easier for the groom, bride, their guests and vendors.
- The bride and groom are able to have their entire wedding in just one location so as to make things easier so that they and their guests can enjoy a less stressful and more enjoyable event.
- With only one site to work with you are able to spend less time figuring out where the bathrooms are and more time enjoying yourself.
- Some wedding venues often offer discounts for on-site weddings because of the fact that they are easier to organize and easier to plan
What is an Out-of-Town Guest?
An out-of-town guest is a guest that has traveled from afar to attend the wedding.
They are normally expected to pay for their own lodging unless they are members of the wedding party.
It is, however, thoughtful to help out-of-town guests find a place to stay.
- A common rule of wedding etiquette is that the bride and groom are responsible for arranging lodging and accommodation for their out-of-town guests.
- If guests are not staying with family, the bride and groom can help defray hotel expenses if they are able to.
What is Photojournalism?
Photojournalistic Wedding photography can be described as an unposed and undirected visual narrative of your wedding day.
wedding photojournalists tend to have an unobtrusive presence so as to allow them to capture the many un-staged moments that happen without interfering with the scene.
- This kind of photography creates a truly timeless photographic representation of your wedding day.
- It captures the love, union, and characters of your family and close friends on the wedding day.
- This type of wedding photography is the most authentic and true-to-life representation of your wedding day.
What Are Pillars?
Pillars are columns that are used for a Wedding that are decorative and versatile.
They can be used to fit in with both the wedding and reception and can be manipulated to fit in with nearly any theme or style.
- The use of wedding pillars during a wedding is a good way to create a picturesque background for both the ceremony and reception.
- These pillars vary in height and can add depth and visual beauty to simple locations.
- They can also provide a base for additional decorations that fit into the wedding décor scheme.
What Is a Plus One?
A plus one refers to a guest who is in a relationship or can bring a date to the wedding.
If a plus one is added to a wedding invite, then it means that you are able to bring a date with you.
- Don’t just assume that you can bring along a random friend to the wedding if you cannot find a date. Always check with the couple first.
- Don’t RSVP with a plus one unless you are absolutely sure that your date is going to come with you to the wedding.
What Is a Prenup?
A prenup is an agreement made between two people before marrying. It establishes the couple’s rights to property and support in the event of a divorce or death.
Prenuptial agreements are used by couples who want to set down the terms of any future divorce before walking down the aisle.
- In some countries, a prenuptial agreement provides for what happens in the event of a divorce as well as ensuring the protection of property during the marriage in the case of bankruptcy.
- Prenuptial agreements are not legally valid in some countries.
- Prenups preserve the expectations of the couple and prevent surprises should there ever be a divorce trial.
What Is a Prong Setting?
A prong setting refers to the use of metal projections or prongs to secure a gemstone to a piece of jewelry.
It is a setting that is normally referred to by jewelers as a head, a claw-shaped type of binding.
- Prong setting engagement rings are often referred to as Tiffany setting rings.
- The head can be handmade, cast, or die struck.
- The head is made from precious metals such as gold, silver, and platinum.
- A prong setting is what holds the gem securely and allows the gem to be struck with more light and from more angles.
What is a Wedding Recession?
A Wedding recessional is a part of the wedding ceremony when the bridal party exits the ceremony down the aisle at the conclusion of the ceremony.
- The bridal recession is normally the order in which the bridal party exits the church.
- In a typical ceremony, the newly married couple normally leads the way, followed by their ring bearers and flower girls
- There is often is a triumphant and joyous piece of music playing during the wedding recessional
What is a Recessional?
A Recessional is traditionally what happens when the Wedding ceremony is over.
It is used to mark the newly married couple and the bridal party’s exit down the aisle.
- The recessional is when the wedding party exits the ceremony space down the aisle at the conclusion of the wedding ceremony.
- There is often a triumphant and happy piece of music playing during the wedding recessional.
What Is a Response Card?
A Response card or reply cards are included with a Wedding invitation in order to give the couple a good estimate of their guest count for the reception.
The cards and envelopes are often engraved or printed in the same style as the invitation.
- You should pre-address and stamp the reply envelope so as to make it easy for guests to RSVP via mail.
- Include a “reply by” date. This date is usually two to three weeks before the wedding. This will give you enough time to follow up with guests who have not replied yet.
What is a Ring Bearer?
A ring bearer is traditionally the job of a young boy aged between four and eight years old. His job is to carry the rings and act as a ring bearer.
He will typically walk up the aisle with the rings tied to a small pillow.
- The ring bearer walks down the aisle after the last bridesmaid and before the flower girl carrying the rings on a pillow or in a box.
- He gives the rings to the best man The rings are exchanged later by the couple during the ceremony.
- The ring bearer is often a relative of one of the partners getting married.
What is a Ring Pillow?
A ring cushion or pillow is a small pillow on which the wedding rings are carried in many traditional Western weddings.
They are most often carried by a junior member of the bridal party who is known as the ringbearer. This is often a younger male relative or friend.
- During the ceremony, the ring bearer carries the rings on the pillow down the aisle.
- wedding ring cushions are normally small decorated pillows that reflect the wedding’s color or theme.
- The look of a wedding ring pillows normally reflects the couple’s personal taste.
What Is a Rukhsat?
A Rukhsat is a Muslim Wedding ritual that is held for the bride to bid farewell to her family.
The father of the bride gives her hand to her husband humbly asking her to always protect and look after her.
- This is a Muslim ceremony in which the bride formally leaves her parental home
- The couple spends their first night as husband and wife in her house but in different rooms.
- The next morning the father of the bride takes them to their new home and gives the groom his daughter’s hand.
What Is a Same-sex Marriage?
Same-sex marriage, also commonly known as gay marriage is the marriage between two people of the same gender.
The couple enters into a civil or religious ceremony and most times follow this ceremony with a Wedding reception the same as in any traditional wedding between a man and a woman. There are records of same-sex marriage dating back to the first century.
- The introduction of same-sex marriage has varied by jurisdiction and came about through legislative change to marriage law.
- Studies have shown that the financial, psychological, and physical well-being of gay people can be enhanced by marriage.
- Other studies have also shown that the children of same-sex parents may benefit from being raised by married same-sex couples within a marital union.
What is a Sans Serif?
Sans Serif fonts have a more contemporary feel and are very popular on more classic Wedding invitations.
This font can appear to be handwritten or in a calligraphy type style together with various flourishes.
- Sans-Serif fonts are normally used as a device for emphasis. This is due to their typically blacker type color.
- Sans-Serif fonts have slightly increased readability compared to Serifs font. Sans-Serif is an excellent typeface for the body of text on your wedding invite.
What Is Shapewear?
Shapewear is a foundation garment and is designed to impermanently alter the wearer’s body shape so as to achieve a more fashionable figure.
It is used to enhance a bodily feature and make it look more presentable.
- Some fabrics are more forgiving than others. Textured fabrics and heavier silks tend to create a more structured gown and some gowns even have a built-in corset to support the bust line as well as other parts of the bride’s body.
- Lighter fabrics, such as silk can be almost transparent. These fabrics normally require a shaping garment to eliminate a panty line.
What is a Sheet Cake?
A sheet cake is a cake baked in a large, flat rectangular pan such otherwise known as a sheet pan or a jelly roll pan.
These are single-layer cakes that are frosted with decorations.
They also have ornamental frosting along the borders and the top surface of the cake.
- The main difference between a sheet cake and regular cake is the size of the cake pan.
- The Sheet cake is made in a sheet cake pan which is a shallow, large pan that is usually about 2 inches deep.
What is a Snood?
A Snood is a type of traditional headgear that can be used to hold the hair in a cloth or yarn bag.
This headgear normally resembles a close-fitting hood that is worn over the back of the head.
Snoods are similar to hairnets but have a looser fit.
- A Snood is the perfect shawl for your wedding and gives you a little bit of cover over your gown.
- This accessory can be used for a flat lay and is most often a good asset to have during cold off-season weddings.
What Are Studs?
Studs are earrings that are usually worn by the bride. Earings can form an essential part of the bride’s overall look by accentuating their facial features as well as drawing attention to the bride’s beauty.
- Stud earrings are minimalistic and have a clean and modern design so as to accentuate wedding gowns.
- These earrings fit perfectly with wedding gowns that have straight or square necklines
- Earrings are used to frame the face while at the same time adding glamour and style.
- The type of stud depends largely on the bride and her personal style.
What is a Tailcoat?
A tailcoat is a knee-length coat characterized by a rear section of the skirt. This is known as the tails.
The tailcoat originates from clothes that were cut for convenient horse riding in the Early Modern era.
- It is very occasionally seen at funerals but is more often used as daywear at weddings, especially when worn with a black matching waistcoat
- Tailcoats are usually paired with striped grey pleated trousers.
- Tailcoats can even be worn with plain or houndstooth trousers.
What is the Big Day?
The “Big Day” normally refers to a very significant day in a person’s life, i.e. their Wedding day.
- The thought of your big day will usually make your stomach flutter and feel ecstatic to the point of euphoria.
- Most wedding days are beautiful and filled with love and joy.
- It is important to make your “big day” memorable and exciting without becoming a nervous wreck during the preparation stages.
What Is a Three-piece Veil?
A three-piece veil is a timeless veil that is usually made of soft and sheer soft tulle and trimmed all around in lace.
These cathedral length Wedding veils are designed to be worn in a cathedral style church or a similarly grand setting. This veil will be on full display when you are walking down the aisle.
- Always make sure you buy your dress before you start thinking about veils. Not every veil will complement the look you are going for.
- Your veil should never overshadow your dress.
- There’s not much point in having a dress with stunning back detail if nobody is able to see it under your three-piece veil.
What are Wedding Cake Tiers?
Tiers are the number of cakes that make up an entire Wedding cake once put all together.
A traditional wedding cake has three tiers and each tier of a wedding cake has its own significance.
Traditionally the bottom tier is the one for eating at the ceremony, the middle tier is for distributing to guests after the event and the top tier is saved by the bride and groom.
- In the 19th Century, the top tier was traditionally saved for the first child’s christening.
- The number of cake servings will help determine the size of your cake. Three tiers normally serve 50 to 100 guests.
- If you are having more than 100 guests, the cake will be made up of four tiers.
What is a Wedding Timeline?
A Wedding timeline is a time frame in which the events of your wedding happen from beginning to end.
Creating a wedding timeline is extremely important as even running a few minutes late can throw the whole day off track.
Each couple’s wedding timeline will be unique to their own wedding day and is also highly dependent on vendors and venues.
- Every wedding is different, so it is important not to copy a wedding timeline template from the web word-for-word.
- Start fresh and use the ceremony time as a starting point. Then make a list of all of the events that need to happen before and after the ceremony.
What Is a Tish?
A Tish is a Jewish reception held for men that takes place at a table laden with food and drink.
The groom’s father and the bride’s father are seated adjacent to the groom and surrounded by rabbis.
Other male guests are seated around the table such as the groom’s relatives and friends toast and sing to the groom.
- The groom is interrupted by his friends shortly after beginning, with lively singing and clapping in which all who are present join in to prevent him from continuing.
- The most important procedure at the groom’s reception is the completion and validation of the This is a marriage contract that is carefully reviewed by the rabbi to determine that all details are correct.
What is an Underlay?
An Underlay is a piece of fabric that is laid on the Wedding tables before the décor and tablecloths are placed.
They are normally stain-resistant and perfect for use at weddings, banquets, and other events.
- Easy to wash by hand, machine, and dry cleaning.
- Durable fabric made to withstand repeated use.
- Can be found in various colors so as to fit in with your wedding theme.
What Is a Unity Candle?
A unity candle is when the couple each take a lit candle and simultaneously light up a third unity candle together. This is commonly used at Wedding ceremonies.
They may blow out their individual lights, or they can leave them lit. This symbolizes that they have not lost their individuality in their unity.
- The unity candle is usually lit directly after the exchange of vows.
- It is sometimes a tradition for the mothers of each partner to light the first two candles.
- This is done to symbolize the coming together of two families.
What Is a Universal Registry?
A universal registry is used to bring together all the bride and groom’s registry gifts on one page so that guests are easily able to shop your gifts in one place.
The bridal couple is normally able to track which gifts are being bought for them and are able to add items that they need to their list.
- wedding registries have been around for over a century and were initially used to accommodate their customers.
- A Universal Wedding Registry means that couples are able to ask for just what they want and they are able to add any item from any store in the world.
- Once a universal registry has been created, it can be shared with friends and family via eCard, customized URL, or social media.
What is a wedding videographer?
A Wedding videographer creates a video production of a wedding event.
A video is produced that is typically referred to as a wedding video.
- The service options, creativity, experience level, and pricing will vary significantly between different videographers.
- Not booking a wedding videographer is often a big regret of newlyweds after the wedding.
- The quality of wedding videography has improved significantly in recent years. Many videographers are producing wedding films to very high production standards.
- wedding videographers are also sometimes referred to as wedding filmmakers or wedding cinematographers.
What is a Votive?
A votive candle is a small candle that is colored white or beeswax yellow and is intended to be burnt as a votive offering in an act of Christian prayer.
This practice is especially common within the Anglican, Lutheran, and Roman Catholic Christian denominations.
- In Christianity, votive candles are placed at church altars to symbolize the prayers that the worshiper is offering for him or herself or for other people.
- The size of a votive candle is normally two inches tall by one and a half inches in diameter.
- Some votive candles can be significantly taller and wider.
What Is a Waistcoat?
A waistcoat is a sleeveless upper-body garment that is usually worn over a dress shirt and necktie.
It is worn below a coat as a part of most men’s formal wear.
It is also be worn as the third piece in the traditional three-piece male lounge suit.
It’s a common garment worn for a wedding.
- The waistcoat originated in Persia and became extremely fashionable in the middle of the seventeenth century.
- The waistcoat was designed to discourage the use of lavish materials by covering much of the body in material.
- Nowadays waistcoats are seldom worn, except by a groom who is getting married
What Is a Wali?
A Wali is a person responsible for the bride’s life before she is married. The duty of the Wali is to ensure that the proposed groom is a reliable and trustworthy person that will continue to carry his role and responsibility to the bride once they are married.
- A Wali can be the bride’s birth father, her paternal grandfather, brother, paternal uncle, or any other male relative from her family.
- The Wali must consent to the marriage and accompany the bride when she makes her registration at the Registry.
- This role is considered to be of great importance.
What is a Walima?
A Walima is used as a symbol to emphasize domestic happiness in the household post-marriage.
It is often used to describe a celebration of marriage and can also be used to celebrate the birth of a newborn or the purchase of a new home.
- Walima means “to assemble” and is used to describe an assembly or party that is thrown to celebrate major life events.
- Walima is an Arabic term describing the event that is to be celebrated.
What is a Watteau Gown?
A Watteau Gown is a gown made up of loose box pleats that are sometimes known as Watteau pleats due to their appearance in the paintings of Antoine Watteau.
This gown is also known as the sack-back gown.
- This 18th-century gown consists of a decorative stomacher, petticoat, and two wide box pleats that fall from the shoulders to the floor.
- It is an A-line gown crafted from Japanese double-faced satin.
- It consists of intricate seaming details and a high neckline that creates a modern silhouette.
What is a Wedding?
A wedding is a ceremony in which two people are united in marriage.
The majority of wedding ceremonies involve an exchange of marriage vows followed by the presentation of a gift, normally a ring, and then a public proclamation of marriage by an authority figure.
- The main purpose of a wedding is to celebrate the marriage.
- In some cultures, the wedding celebration can go on for a week or more with the couple’s parents.
What is a Wedding Florist?
A florist is someone who arranges flowers and other plant elements into a pleasing design, especially for weddings, birthdays, and other formal or even informal events.
- Floristry can be described as the production and trade of flowers.
- It involves the care of flowers, handling of flowers, floral design, or flower arranging, production, display, and finally delivery of the flowers.
- A florist is the one who will make sure that the centerpieces at your reception tables are of top quality and that they add beauty and elegance to your event.
What Is a Wedding Guest List?
A Wedding guest list is a list of all the people who are invited to the wedding.
It can be broken up into two parts. The A-list consists of all of the must-have invites that you couldn’t imagine not having at your wedding.
They will receive the first round of invitations. The B-list is made up of guests you still really want to be there.
- Start by setting your total guest count. Divide this count up amongst yourselves, your parents, and your future-on laws.
- Always add plus-ones.
- If you have attended a friend’s wedding within the last 12 months, it is normally polite to invite them to yours if you are having an event of a similar size.
What Is a Wedding Hashtag?
A Wedding hashtag is a good way to keep track of all the photos and videos that your bridal party and guests take along your wedding journey.
This is a great way to remember these social media memories in a custom wedding album. You are even able to include captions and comments and keep them all in one place.
- Try not to use words that are easily misspelled. Rather use nicknames or cute abbreviations.
- You can also include your hashtag on your wedding website together with the save the date and wedding invitation.
What is Wedding Insurance?
wedding insurance is sometimes taken out to protect any money that has been invested in a Wedding that doesn’t go according to plan due to unexpected problems or the need to cancel or reschedule a wedding.
- This can include cancellation by the venue, sickness, injury, or death of the bride, groom, or an immediate family member as well as severe weather amongst other situations.
- It sometimes provides cover if a wedding vendor does not show up on the wedding day or otherwise does not provide their contracted service.
- Insurance for weddings typically costs less than 1% of your total budget.
What is a Wedding Vendor?
A Wedding vendor is a vendor that you pay for the services or products that you want to be included in your wedding.
These products can include invitations, decorations, music, catering, and wedding favors. Wedding vendors include photographers, videographers, ceremony musicians, bands etc.
- Remember to set your budget and the number of guests first so that you don’t choose venues or vendors that are out of your price range or cannot accommodate the size of your wedding party.
- When meeting with your vendors come prepared with a list of questions so that you are able to nail down the specifics before getting too excited with their portfolio.
What Is a Yarmulke?
A Yarmulke is a brimless cap that is made from cloth and traditionally worn by Jewish males so as to fulfill the customary requirement that the head needs to be covered.
In Orthodox Jewish communities, it is worn at all times. Among non-Orthodox communities, those who wear them customarily do so only during prayer and when attending a Jewish wedding.
- The reason for wearing this headpiece is to show a sign of respect and fear of God.
- It is been said that this head piece separates God and human and that by wearing it you are recognizing that God is above all mankind.